Menu

_____________________

http://kinshop.co.za/pages/about-ushttp://kinshop.co.za/pages/contact

Thursday 17 April 2014

Guest Post : Inge Marais on Her Amazing Brass Kingfisher

Inge Marais of Inge Marias Jewellery tells us where she got the inspiration to make such a gorgeous brass, silver & copper Kingfisher for our World Earth Day window this month:
When KIN asked me to take part, I immediately thought "yes!"

Projects like this give you the freedom to explore without economic constraints – i.e. I'm not stressing about whether it will sell because it's for fun and for a good cause (Soil for Life).
For this project I chose to work with the Kingfisher. I chose this little guy because this colourful short little cocky bombshell reminds me of my mom. That's her in a nutshell : “ colourful short little cocky little bombshell”

I'm clearly indulging in being massively sentimental in this project – focusing on memories and family – taking time for myself and things I care about. The next aspect I used as inspiration is an item we collected in Venice – on the weekend that I got engaged. Its a jack in the box – stringy pully man – because of this man my brass king fisher will have flapping wings.
To start to design this guy I packed my bag with my mum-in-law’s bird book – bird watching is massive in that side of the family – stencil, pencils and home brewed coffee – set off to the park with my spaniel, Henk, on a perfect day to draw my design.

I'd like to say a big thanks to the KIN gang for letting me be part of this project – its been personal and indulgent and needs to be done from time to time.

No comments:

Post a Comment