Menu

_____________________

http://kinshop.co.za/pages/about-ushttp://kinshop.co.za/pages/contact

Wednesday 15 July 2015

Meet Our KIN : Tyche

As you know, we love original SA designs - especially if they are pretty. And even more if they are pretty and useful :) May we introduce Ingrid Jones of Tyche who has created objects that can be simply gazed at for their pleasing forms and praised for their effortless functionality. Ingrid makes beautiful over-sized wooden puzzle pieces that fit together and can be used as book ends, sturdy trays for tea and rusks, artistic storage boxes or wall-mounted niches (to name a few).


Why did you start making your products?

Since moving from Australia to South Africa, I have been searching for a way to embed my roots
into Cape Town and make it feel more like home. I consider myself to be very lucky to have
settled in here, because it really is a wonderful and beautiful city. So in order for me to create a
home, I decided to create intriguing homely things and Tyche has provided me with this
opportunity. I hope my products inspire and delight you.


How did you learn to make what you do?

I studied industrial design for 5 years in South Australia and was always encouraged to create
products that excite and delight through hands on experience. As a student I was encouraged to
learn about many manufacturing processes and CNC routing took my fancy because I could
incorporate it into my understanding of graphic production.



How are your products made?

The products I am currently creating are either CNC routed or laser cut and I then hand assemble
them myself.

What is your favourite part of the process?

Studying shapes and forms and then creating the initial drawings that turn the idea into a reality.



What materials are your products made from?

Most of my products are made from locally sourced ply wood. My materials all come from South Africa. It’s best to stay local and support the local industry.

Do you have an interesting tidbit for us?

Watch this space! The dreams are big but the imagination is bigger!


Follow Tyche on Facebook here

Pop in to KIN on Kloof to see these lovelies in person!



No comments:

Post a Comment