Menu

_____________________

http://kinshop.co.za/pages/about-ushttp://kinshop.co.za/pages/contact

Friday 14 March 2014

Studio Sneak Peek - My China


A Sneak Peek? What's this? Chatting over tea at HQ one day, we were marvelling at how lucky we are to work with such an array of wonderful designers and in doing so get to know them, their spaces, people and pets. Suddenly we thought, "We should share them!" and voila! we now have a spot on the blog for Studio Sneak Peeks!


The name "My China" is a play on words with roots in Cockney slang: My China referring to a mate or friend from "My mate, my china plate" and China simultaneously referring to high quality ceramic ware originally made in China.


Frances Kierman launched My china in 2008 as a business which fused her love of drawings, colour and ceramics. She loves South Africa's fascinating bird life, unique Fynbos and all the other wild & strange creatures that live in it. She doodles her thoughts, and her drawings become the irresistible transfers that brand her work. My China's range of ceramics has grown and developed, but as the shapes and sizes evolve, it's easy to spot those clean white vessel with their signature hints of a bright, bold palette.


Like many fellow designers, Frances' talents have more than one avenue of expression - Flick Glass is the part of her business for which she makes jewellery from captivating, liquid-looking pieces of dichroic glass. All the glass is cut by hand in her studio, stacked with micro-layers of precious metals or oxides, and fused to form the intricate layers of shifting colour.

KIN, of course, stocks both My China (bowls in three sizes, vases, bottle stoppers, bunnies, milk jugs, sugar bowls, S&P sets, mugs, espresso cups and platters) and Flick Glass (studs - tiny glass squares mounted onto sterling silvers posts) at both Kloof and V&A.

Visit My China and Flick Glass online
Support My China and Flick Glass on Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment